Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pumpkin Bread and Icy Treat

So you know that point of the summer you start looking forward to fall?  I love summer, but it's been really hot in Portland this year and I found a can of pumpkin in my pantry and made some pumpkin bread because I love the taste year-round and it gets me excited for fall. 

This recipe is pretty good for a healthy pumpkin bread.  Keep in mind it is more bread-like than cake as far as flavor.  It is still moist, flavorful, and delicious, just not the dessert kind we're used to.  I substituted some of the honey for maple syrup and of course added tons of cinnamon as well as some pumpkin pie spice.

Pumpkin Bread (whole-wheat)



After making this bread, I was left with 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree so began my search for what to do with it.  I am always looking for things to do with my almond milk.  I love the home-made stuff I've been making, especially for cereal, but it needs a little body and flavor in order to drink it straight.  I posted about chocolate shakes using almond milk and bananas, so I just modified the concept to make the perfect summer pumpkin drink. 

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 small frozen banana (cut in chunks)
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
cinnamon
vanilla extract
pumpkin pie spice

Blend and enjoy!

The funny thing is, after I made it, I was researching health benefits of pumpkin and came across this recipe nearly identical to what I came up with!

http://greatist.com/health/superfood-pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment